Togo is located east of Ghana and west of Benin in western Africa

Togo is located east of Ghana and west of Benin in western Africa
clipart provided by: www.worldatlas.com

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What do we do with all of our possessions?


I have over 500 tags (quality baby items) entered online for the JBF sale next week.  JBF is North America's leading children's and maternity consignment sales event.  I’ve either received a lot of our baby stuff free from friends or bought them at the JBF sale.  I always figured I’d sell all the stuff I’ve bought at the JBF sale, right back where I got it.  I just didn’t think it would be so soon.  Lord willing, we aren’t done having kids.  I figured it would be a few more years before I started reselling all of our baby stuff.

Yet, I’ve come to realize (actually I knew it all along, I just couldn’t help myself), we don’t need all the baby stuff we have.  All a baby really needs is love.  I am the one that needed over 500 quality items for our babies.  I’m the one that needed the bassinet, crib, pack ‘n play, changing table, swing, high chair, car seat, multiple strollers, too many clothes to count, and endless toys.  Why?  To keep our babies “happy”, so I could be “happy”.


In all honesty, I cannot wait to move to Africa and be freed from all of these earthly belongings that keep us “happy”.  I’m looking forward to spending more time with our kids and less time trying to entice them to be “happy” playing with the things I’ve bought for them (or me).  I’m not saying we’re going to live without any baby stuff in Africa, but at least our lives will be simplified a great deal.  (I know it’s hypocritical, but don’t tell the people at the JBF sale that they don’t need my stuff!)

The baby stuff is almost gone and soon I will move on to sorting the rest of our house.  So what do we do with all of our possessions?  I’m making lists of what to pass along to family and friends, what to put in storage and what to take to Togo.  Everything else will be sold through a liquidation sale or donated.






The “Take to Togo” list keeps changing daily.  We cannot decide whether to take a shipment or not.  At first we were going to take a shipment.  Then we decided we didn’t need it.  We would just take what we could fit in our 8- 50 pound bags on the plane.  Now, we might be able to combine shipments with our fellow missionary, Rev. Jacob Gaugert, who will be in Dapaong with us, but we aren’t sure yet .

I’m struggling between truly wanting to simplify our lives and wanting some of our American conveniences.  I’m wondering if simplifying our lives a great deal, would be too hard.  Our lifestyle will be so incredibly different in Africa compared to here.  If we leave everything we’re used to in America, will that be too much of a change for our family?  I imagine for most people the decision would be easy- just take the stuff.  But, I still have that struggle with wanting to get rid of it all.  We honestly don’t need it.  After all, most of the people in Africa live without all of our conveniences.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this last night but it didn't take. After 10-11 weeks in Costa Rica, I brought numerous things that haven't been used or worn. It's very hard to know what you're going to want or need. Take the basics and stay within your baggage limits. If you think you might want something extra, pack it up for someone to send later. I suspect you'll never need or want that shipment. Many things are cheaper and more readily available here than at home. However, we did find that anything that has to be imported is very expensive: favorite over the counter medicines and vitamins, electronics, good batteries. Do the best you can but don't burden yourself, either physically or spiritually. ~Tio Miquel P.S. Parlez vous, Francais? How's that coming? This will be key for your happiness and success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say take what you can't live without. God will provide the necessities. In reality, you don't even NEED the 8-50lb bags, so don't consume yourself with worry over an extra shipment if that's what you want to do. Matthew 6:25-34. Jaime :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful.